Anyone have experience with binaural beats?

Some thoughts I had the last weekend. In this study:

Budzynski T, Jordy JE, Budzynski HK, Tang H, Claypoole K. Academic performance enhancement with photic stimulation and EDR feedback.

the researchers used photic stimulation of 14 and 22 Hz.
The result was not a peak at the entrained frequency but a rise of the dominant alpha frequency.
So the results of the study may be even more complicated to interpret.

Paul LaFontaineā€™s recent post on HRV and binaural beats.

http://quantselflafont.com/2015/10/12/binaural-beats-had-no-five-minute-payoff/

1 Like

Thanks @wjcroft ā€” more support for the idea that 5-10 minutes isnā€™t long enough. Have you experimented with http://brain.fm? Maybe I should add them to the list of possible binaural beat sources for our next experiment.

Hi everyone,

Just wondering is anyone has done the experiment using acoustic versus magnetic field stimulation. I remember reading that the mechanism of action behind binaural beats might be EMF and not acoustic. I think I could test this using earplugs and speakers next to my head, but will the magnetic field interfere with the measurement device? (in my case a muse).

I think testing could also be done using high frequency carrier binaurals, such as a 17khz since older people canā€™t hear it at all. In case you need such a file here is one for free that uses 17khz and 4hz binaurals:
https://subliminalmp3.guru/?smd_process_download=1&download_id=1662 . Iā€™m not sure if using 17khz can rule out the acoustic entrainment since even if you canā€™t hear it, it might still be processed by the brain. Could test that too if I had some sort of ERP measurment tool!

1 Like

Late to the conversation but hope to provide some insight from our experience.

For the videos Iā€™ve created with Osprey Music:
Preference has been to build to the desired frequency over the course of 6 to 7 and a half minutes.

Keep the carrier beat under 1k. Most people are irritated otherwise when it is found above 1k.

Tend to start from a 10 - 12 hz (normal wakefulness) and gradually move to the desired frequency over about 1 and a half minute.

The normal response time we have found for the thalamus to synchronize with the binaural beat from our anecdotal experience and other research has been (6.5 - 7.5 minutes).

Should be worth quoting and mentioning:

ā€œA binaural beat is an auditory illusion perceived when two different pure-tone sine waves, both with frequencies lower than 1500 Hz, with less than a 40 Hz difference between them, are presented to a listener dichotically (one through each ear).ā€

Osterā€™s Curve follows this principle.

The possibility of doing it perhaps with Isochronic Tones would be worth researching.

Why does it have to be under 1500hz to be considered a binaural beat? AFAIK no one has yet proven the mechanism of binaural entrainment to be purely auditory. Weak magnetic fields affect the brain as per Persinger et al.

Hi @OspreyMusic ā€“ thanks for the comments. Is the thalamus synchronization something youā€™ve measured with an EEG, or based on first person reports correlated with presumed brain activity? I would be interested to hear more details about how youā€™ve measured this, since weā€™re still hoping to do more experiments to see if we can detect EEG entrainment from binaural beats.

Thanks,
Adam

Interesting idea @InvisibleDoctor. It would be easy to test by taking the cones out of a set of over-ear headphones (in which case you would still get the magnetic field, but not the audio).

Regarding interference, I think it probably wouldnā€™t be an issue unless you were summing the signals from EEG channels on both sides of the head (since otherwise you might get interference from the carrier, but there probably wouldnā€™t be a beat frequency).

Osterā€™s Curve gives insight to why the threshold is 1500 hz.

The auditory illusion is not perceived anymore.
This research is from Monroe if Iā€™m not mistaken.
Iā€™ll try to follow up with credible citations when I have the time.

Cannot deny the possibility of weak magnetic fields or other phenomenon.

Itā€™s all energy, you can use different systems of measurements to see different things; as long as it is in range of the spectrum for the device measuring it.

Regardless, it starts from a mechanical nature; your brain perceives it as electrical in the end. So you can describe it in various mediums.

You have excellent insight.
I will try to follow-up with source citations when my schedule frees up more.

Thank you for the thread.

1 Like

Thank you for informative & really needed a post about Binaural Beats for Meditation. :slight_smile:

I have used an app related to binaural beats which is Binaural Beats meditation and relaxation best for meditation and relaxation. These apps are designed to designed to provide meditation, deep sleep, stress relief, healing and sleep sounds.
Potential benefits include are reduced stress, reduced anxiety, increased focus, increased concentration, increased motivation, increased confidence, deeper meditation, improved psychomotor performance and mood.
This app focuses on body, brain, meditation, healing and sleep.

I have been using Binaural Beats for years and love it. Supper useful technique.

As far as beatsā€¦ I have tried everything, My favorite is 7-5hz and going for 10-20 minutes. Gets me in a deep space.

Overall it has improved my mood and understanding of my own mind. Itā€™s unlike anything else and will show you deeply how your consciousnesses change to different phases, and how you can control that.

I actual wrote a free article on creating binuaral beats and my history with them.

Hope that helps

1 Like

I would like to add a question to this conversation. Does the frequencies in binuaral beats matter, as long as the numeric difference is the same, when your wanting to cure of manifest something particular?

Iā€™ll add a second question as well. Is it true you can sound shape music to mimic these frequencies? If so does it matter what shape you use? Like sine, triangle ect:?

Low frequency sound for 20 minutes is a treat for the CNS. :smile:

I am not very good with science and science terms. All i know is that, i do feel sleepy when i listen to sleeping beats. I have felt relaxed using this beats. I just dont know if my mind wants to believe in its or what but something small happens when i am listening to these beats.