EEG sleep devices: NeuroOn, Aurora, etc

I’ve been planning to experiment with sleep tracking using the OpenBCI. I saw this EEG sleep mask on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/intelclinic/neuroon-worlds-first-sleep-mask-for-polyphasic-sle. Looks like they’re behind on their release timeline and don’t plan to be shipping until spring 2015, but some pre-release models have gone out.

I’m curious: has anyone tried the NeuroOn? Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!

To partly answer my own question:

• It looks like NeuroOn is well behind on its Kickstarter timeline, and still hasn’t shipped the product to backers;

• The concept and implementation has provoked derisive commentaries from neuro “debunker” pundits on twitter and elsewhere online (for example here and here), largely focusing the founders’ grandiose claims regarding the benefits of polyphasic sleep;

• Debunking notwithstanding, it’s still not clear whether the NeuroOn will be able to detect sleep cycles effectively or not — at least, I haven’t found any hands-on or theoretical discussion that makes a convincing, third-party case one way or another on this point;

• There is a brief “hands on” review on DigitalTrends but the author doesn’t appear to have actually used the device, so it doesn’t answer any serious questions.

Adam, Isa, hi.

First post here on your site. Thanks for setting this up. Maybe you could change the thread title to sleep masks in general. I’m following these guys, look like they are making slow but steady progress. Have not ordered, but will be interested to hear feedback from first round adopters.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iwinks/the-aurora-dream-enhancing-headband/posts

William

1 Like

Hi William — welcome to NeuroBB, and thanks for joining the forum!

I’ve edited the thread title, so this topic can stick around as a place to discuss EEG sleep tech in general.

Aurora’s progress looks more convincing than NeuroOn, and it’s refreshing that they give at least a few technical details about the EEG part of their device.

For another angle on EEG sleep tech, there’s the Kokoon EEG headphones. They raised a whopping $1.9M on Kickstarter this May. Looks like they’re scheduled to ship in February next year, but given the delays on similar products, who knows. Kokoon’s is rather vague on the technical details of the EEG implementation.

This is clearly a market in which there is a lot of demand. It will be interesting to see who can get to production with a product that works as advertised.

Here’s a short video on the Luciding device, based on Ursula Voss’ research.

http://www.nature.com/neuro/journal/v17/n6/full/nn.3719.html

[full text link, turned up on a google search]

https://lucidcatcher.com/

1 Like

Hi there!

I am happy to inform you that the final version of Neuroon was launched in December 2015 and since then is shipped to the customers and Kickstarter backers. We already delivered all masks to Kickstarter supporters in April and now we are sending all current orders.

Want to know what Neuroon offers to its users?

The Neuroon is a revolutionary wearable device that combines advanced brain wave and pulse measurement technology with a comfortable sleeping mask commonly used in air travel. Using built-in biometric sensors, the Neuroon system analyzes the user’s sleep architecture, calculates a sleep efficiency score, and offers optimization advice. In addition, the Neuroon mask uses Bright Light Therapy, a technology that can alleviate jet lag, improve sleep efficiency, and help the user to fall asleep faster. The benefits of Bright Light Therapy were confirmed in a landmark study by Stanford University researchers in 2014. The Neuroon is a system comprised of three components: a comfortable mask made of soft, hypoallergenic material, the Smartpack, which contains the device’s sensors and electronics encased in medically certified silicone, and the Neuroon mobile app that controls the mask wirelessly using Bluetooth.

The Neuroon measures the biological parameters of the sleeper, including brain waves (single-channel EEG), pulse (pulse oximetry), body temperature, eye movement (EOG) and body movement during sleep (actigraphy). Based on the collected data, the Neuroon mask creates a personalized Bright Light Therapy to improve the user’s sleep quality. The Neuroon also uses an “artificial dawn” to wake up the user with light of gradually increasing intensity, a function that reduces the unpleasant effects of morning sleep inertia.

The Neuroon offers six key features that will help improve the quality of life of its users: Sleep Analytics, Personal Pause, Jet Lag Blocker, Biorhythm Adjuster, Light Boost and Neuroon Sunrise. You can read more at: neuroon.com

Moreover in August we will release the new feature of Neuroon: Neuroon Lucid Dreaming.
The Neuroon Lucid Dreaming feature will consist of two parts: behavioral techniques and external stimuli. Both are based on the research conducted by Heidelberg University in Germany and the University of Bern in Switzerland among others. Behavioral techniques aim at preparing the user’s mind to start lucid dreaming while external stimuli are a direct influence of the mask on the user’s REM sleep with the help of light, vibration and acoustic stimulus. Only with both of these methods can lucid dreaming be fully experienced.

For all the customers who buy the Neuroon before the end of June it will be free of charge. Learn more at: https://neuroon.com/lucid-dreaming/

If you have any more questions, you can always write to us at: contact@neuroon.com

Regards,
Dagna from Neuroon

1 Like