EEGrunt Support for Muse Headset Data

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has used mues headband csv data with EEGrunt or have a modified code for that? I am using muse headband to investigate the relation between distraction and brainwaves. I can convert the muse file to csv file, but I don’t know how to analyze the csv file for this purpose. May I also ask if anyone has any suggestions about any tools or software that is suitable for analyzing EEG data for this purpose?
I can upload a sample data file if it’s needed.

Thank you,
Donia

1 Like

@Donia Welcome to the forum!

I’m not aware of anyone having used EEGrunt with Muse data, but I have planned to make it compatible with headsets other than the OpenBCI, and this is a good reason to do so. If you upload your .CSV I’ll do my best to add Muse compatibility to EEGrunt. (You should be able to just reply here and click the little upload icon to upload your .csv file.)

My recommendations for other software would depend on what you’re trying to do, and how technical you want to get. EEGrunt is a small collection of Python scripts that make it easier to manipulate recorded data and generate spectrograms, FFT plots, and so on.

If you have access to Matlab you could look into using the EEGLAB toolbox, which is widely used for professional EEG analysis. OpenViBE or BrainBay could also be useful, especially if you need real-time processing.

Hi,

Thank you for the response, and the provided information.

That would be great! Thank you.
A sample CSV file has been attached (It was for an experiment for examining the brain waves for mind wandering, math problem solving, N-back test and on other test) . The description of the columns and rows for each muse produced csv file are as below (Quoting Muse developers explanation):

"The first column of the csv is the timestamp since 1970 January 1st and 12:00am down to the microsecond. The point is to be able to know exactly when the data was recorded.

The second column is the path, this is used to describe the type of data outlined here:
https://sites.google.com/a/interaxon...sc-paths/3-2-0

The following columns are related to the content of that path type. ie if it’s /muse/eeg, the next 4 columns will be the left ear, left forehead, right forehead and right ear in microvolts.

For the sake of markers, you can expect to find Markers under the path /muse/annotation the following columns indicating the marker name, type and type information. There will be an annotation for both the start and stop of your markers."

(I have named some of the markers in the csv file)

Yes, I have access to Matlab, and actually wanted to use EEGLab and BCILab in the first place (still trying to). But the issue with that is that, EEGLab and BCILab input file are .xdf (lsl file: https://code.google.com/p/labstreaminglayer/). But muse can converts its data to OSC (http://opensoundcontrol.org/). (Actually, they’re saying that it can be send via lsl too, but it has a bug and problem with the timestamps.) Apparently, the solution is to write a script in python to convert and push osc messages to lsl which unfortunately I couldn’t right. May I ask if by any chance, some one here has a script for that or knows how to write this script please as well?

Thank you so much,

1 Like

I wanted to upload the file, but got this message that “new users cannot upload files”. May I ask what should I do now?

@Donia Ah, sorry — that’s Discourse’s highly effective but somewhat over-zealous spam prevention.

I boosted your trust level and you should be able to upload the file now.

(Also, ran across https://github.com/StefanieStoppel/Muse-OSC-to-LSL — might be useful, but haven’t looked into into it much)

aha.
Thank you.
Test2.csv (2.0 MB)
(The orginial file was so big and had to upload a small piece of it. But I think it would be enough.)

Just a quick progress update: EEGrunt is now reading muse data, but while @AdamM and I were were working on it we found a number of bugs, and ended up rewriting several other parts of EEGrunt to make it more efficient and simpler to use. I just need to clean things up and test our changes, and then I’ll push it to GitHub. It should be much improved!

@Donia I’ve cleaned up EEGrunt after the revisions and pushed it to GitHub. Sorry for the delay. Muse support is now available in the master branch, which you can download here. Let me know if you run into any issues and I’ll try to help, and thanks for the Muse sample data!

1 Like

Wow, that’s great! Thank you.
Sure. I’ll start working with that today.

Thanks,
Donia

1 Like