Headsets etc ( Newbie )

Hi. I’m fairly new to EEG headsets , biofeedback etc.

I am a software developer and in the health industry. I’m looking for a resonably priced EEG headset - and looking to purchase software ( or maybe develop some if it’s too expensive and there is a good SDK )

I am looking to support executive function through biofeedback cost effectively ( for things like ADHD , Apergers etc ) . I’m not really looking to make lots of $$ or anything like that - would just like to be able to use it with family / friends.

Thanks for your time & insight :slight_smile:

‘neuromore’ is a free VPL visual programming language environment that allows you to build your own neurofeedback designs.

https://doc.neuromore.com/?cat=0&page=2

That page shows a list of supported devices. Another similar VPL is BrainBay,

Thanks so much! There are so many headsets to choose from - and it seems like it’s better to get more than the “single sensor” ones like Nerosky mindwave.

Is there one that most people agree is the best value for money with features / extensibility balanced with price?

Welcome to the forum @Martin_Thompson!

@wjcroft is extremely knowledgeable about neurofeedback, so my suggestions should be discarded if he has alternate advice.

As far as I’ve seen there’s not really a consensus about the best multi-channel headset or amplifier to use. It depends a lot on your intended usage, technical comfort level, and budget.

From experience and what I’ve heard from first hand reports, I would say that:

• Neurosky and Muse are the easy to use, inexpensive and allow data access, but have only a few, fixed-location channels;
  • Emotiv EPOC has 16 channels, but the saline electrodes make for questionable signal quality, and the data is unavailable unless you get the expensive developer version or work through this hack;
  • Pocket Neurobics devices are popular with professional neurofeedback practitioners and home trainers, so might be a good choice especially if you’re looking at therapeutic applications;
  • The OpenBCI has a lot of channels, provides good signal quality and data access, and is completely open source, but requires more technical proficiency to use and is somewhat cumbersome unless you get/make the Ultracortex headset for it.

If you’re a programmer and thinking of developing software, I would take a look at the OpenBCI, with Ultracortex headset if budget permits. It is the only higher channel count device I’m aware of that’s open source, and there’s an active and helpful community that can answer OpenBCI-related questions.

For a general overview of affordable headsets and amplifiers, here’s a neurotech hardware roundup post by @curiositry on our blog at Autodidacts.io. Also check out this NeuroBB thread about affordable neurofeedback hardware and software if you haven’t already.

Good luck with your shopping! Once you’ve decided on a device, take a look at the NeuroBB Gear Swap category, and feel free to post a wanted ad.

Cheers,
Adam

1 Like

Thanks @wjcroft and @AdamM - wow this is a whole new world of possibilities!

The ultracortex Mk IV looks really good. Is that compatible with other neurofeedback software?

@Martin_Thompson The OpenBCI is compatible with quite a wide range of software. Most of the open-source software suites I’ve run across support it, and a number of commercial offerings have added OpenBCI drivers as well. BrainBay, OpenViBE, BioEra, and Neuromore — the first four VPLs that come to mind — all support OpenBCI and can be used for neurofeedback.

(And if you’re into tinkering with the software, there are Python, C, Java/processing, and NodeJS OpenBCI libraries, which you could use as a starting point if you wanted to build something new.)