Muse Headband: basic (and lame) question

I’m only starting my amateur neuroscience career, so please don’t judge my question too harsh.

I’ve tried Muse and its dev tools. Could someone explain me - which data in their raw signals correspond with the number of the ‘Birds’ in Muse app and how? I assume it should be something like ‘Alpha Session Score’, but not sure.

PS: Dear NeuroBB founders, thank your for launching such a great forum.

1 Like

Hi @mike,
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the thanks – it’s members like you that make a forum work, so thanks for joining and being part of the discussion.

Regarding the Muse app: I haven’t used or tinkered with the Muse hardware or software yet, so I’m not sure I can be of much help. Based on the Muse FAQ, it looks to me like the feedback in the ‘Calm’ app is based on how long your brain’s been in a state that the Muse algorithm considers ‘Calm’. This means that, at very least, the app is using the duration beyond some threshold (such as level of alpha power), rather than just the current value. Probably the algorithm is more complex than this, and may involve the relationship between different bands over time.

The closest item in the Muse data might be the experimental ‘Mellow’ value (/muse/elements/experimental/mellow), based on the description in the documentation.

Possibly someone with Muse expertise (@yroy?) could point the way to a more informative answer!

Cheers,
Adam

Hey @mike,

Tom here from Muse! @AdamM is correct that you get birds when you’ve been in a “calm” state for an extended period of time.

The algorithm in the app is sort of our secret sauce and is not that closely related to those included in the SDK, like the session scores (so, none of the data on the Available Data page for MuseIO you linked to directly correspond to the app algorithm). The mellow/concentration values are purely experimental outputs and have nothing to do with what’s in the app either. Also, given that they’re experimental they may change, be updated or even removed in the future as the Muse SDK evolves, just so you know.

Hope that clears things up a bit! :slight_smile:

thanks,
Tom

1 Like

Couldn’t really give a better answer than @tomhobson. You got the answer straight from the source :wink:

-Yannick.